Our Virginia Beach car accident lawyers get the difficult decisions you will face after a car accident. This is especially true if you have serious injuries and require long-term medical care.
When you hire us, we deal with the legal issues so you can focus on your recovery. Our goal is to help you secure the best possible settlement for your case. Our car accident attorneys have represented hundreds of victims injured in Virginia auto accidents for over 34 years.
Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyer FAQs
- Why should I hire a car accident lawyer?
- How do I deal with the insurance companies?
- How is a car accident settlement calculated?
- Are there deadlines I should be worried about?
- How much will a lawyer cost me?
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
While you might expect the insurance company to have your best interests at heart, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Insurers are out to turn a profit. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it. A Virginia Beach car accident lawyer can help you negotiate a fair settlement and ensure you’re not being taken advantage of.
Here are a few situations that may benefit from a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer:
- Permanent, Life-Altering Injuries: If you are permanently disabled after a car accident, it is likely your injuries will affect your ability to work and earn a living. An experienced car accident lawyer can help the car insurance companies, and a jury, understand just how much your injury will affect the rest of your life.
- Severe Injuries: Even if your injuries are not permanent, when severe, you are likely to have expensive medical bills and lost income. Insurance companies will likely offer you an unfair settlement offer.
- You’ve Never Handled a Claim or Lawsuit: Insurance adjusters know that most people are inexperienced with the car accident injury claims process. If they see a chance to deny or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it.
- Liability is Uncertain: It isn’t always clear who is at-fault for an accident. If there are numerous parties involved, there may be less settlement money to go around. An experienced Virginia Beach car accident attorney will make sure all avenues of compensation are explored.
- Low-Ball Offers From The Adjuster: Insurance companies will often make quick low-ball offers hoping to quickly settle a claim. Unfortunately, though, these offers come with an agreement that you will not seek additional compensation relating to the accident later. This could be a major problem if you accept an offer before reaching maximum medical improvement.
- Death of a loved one. Learn more about Virginia wrongful death lawsuits.
How do I deal with the insurance companies?
We strongly advise that you do not to speak with insurance companies until you’ve contacted a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer. You may mistakenly say something that could negatively impact your settlement. Contrary to popular belief, you’re not required to give a recorded statement to the insurance company if they ask for one. Once hired, we become your first line of defense – insurance companies will have to go through our team in order to get to you.
How is a car accident settlement calculated?
How Insurance Policy Limits Affect Your Settlement
Settlement amounts are based on both the damage done and the severity of the injuries sustained. Another major factor? Policy limits. These caps set by the insurance company limit the size of the settlement they are willing to pay. Agreed to in the insurance policy purchased by the insured, policy limits often represent the ceiling for settlement negotiations. Even if your claim is less than the policy limit, insurance companies make low-ball settlement offers at first. A Virginia Beach car accident lawyer can help you negotiate a fair settlement.
Types of Compensation
Depending on the specifics of the car accident, victims may be entitled to one or more of the following types of damages:
- Medical costs: Whether it’s an ambulance ride, a life-saving surgery, or years of physical therapy– medical bills will add up quickly. Seek compensation for those bills, as well as any future medical expenses associated with your injury.
- Lost wages: Loss of past and future earnings should also be included in your settlement.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering can sometimes be compensated for in your settlement.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one was killed in a car crash, you’re probably grief-stricken and wondering how you’ll shoulder medical bills, funeral costs. Not to mention the loss of future income for your family. The emotional loss cannot be understated either. The Virginia wrongful death act allows certain family members to bring a claim for the losses they have suffered from the death of a loved one.
Statue of Limitations (Claim Deadlines)
Many accident victims that have taken a “wait and see” approach to find out the hard way. There are strict time limitations for bringing a Virginia car accident injury claim. As time goes by and injuries have not gotten any better, victims then seek help for chronic pain or mounting hospital bills. If you wait too long, the door to justice is closed forever.
In Virginia, you typically must file a Virginia car accident lawsuit with the court within two years of the date of the accident. However, every accident is different and the circumstances surrounding the situation may change these deadlines.
While two years might seem like a long time, the investigation and negotiation processes can be lengthy. To protect your rights, you should speak with a Virginia personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim.
How much does a car accident lawyer charge?
We understand the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our no-fee promise levels the playing field. Our no-fee promise means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Our personal injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Learn more: How much does a car accident lawyer charge?
Free, No Obligation Consultation
Our attorneys represent injured victims involved in various types of Virginia Beach car accident cases including: collision accidents, rear-end accidents, texting and distracted driving accidents, drunk driving accidents, truck & tractor-trailer accidents, pedestrian accidents, bicycle accident, injuries caused by vehicle defects, guardrail accidents, motorcycle accidents, uber/lyft accidents, and wrongful death.
Immediate investigation often makes the difference between winning and losing a Virginia Beach car accident injury case. The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C. conducts immediate investigations to identify crucial witnesses and preserve important evidence. Our attorneys and staff will immediately notify the insurance companies involved to protect you from abusive insurance company tactics.
Richard Serpe: Awards & Recognition
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Norfolk, VA (2020)
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America ® (2006 – Present)
- Received an AV rating from the Martindale-Hubbell law directory, which is the highest given
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)