Personal Injury Lawsuits: A Timeline
Impatience is human nature. In the 21st century, most people are accustomed to the instant gratification so frequently offered by modern society. That’s why so many clients are eager to learn how long their personal injury claim will take. Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy answer to this question. Here’s how the average timeline often works out:
1. Initial consultation. When a client schedules their initial meeting with our team, they share their story and learn of their legal options. A discussion of the person’s rights leads to a decision of whether to work together or not. If the person wishes to hire our firm, they’ll be required to sign an agreement allowing us to represent them.
2. Investigation. Our team will work to investigate the accident that caused your injuries. We’ll be looking into the statements of witnesses, the police accident reports and photographs taken at the scene. In some cases, we may even reconstruct the accident to better understand what led to the incident.
3. Documentation. Your attorney will partner with your healthcare provides to assemble as much information about your injuries as possible. Medical history, hospital bills and medical records will be compiled to establish the injuries were in fact sustained in your accident.
4. Settlement negotiations. In order to receive a fair compensation package from your insurance company, we compile a submittal package that contains pertinent results from the investigation and documentation process. Most cases are resolved at this point, but negotiations with the insurance company can continue for a lengthy period of time. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be filed.
5. Filing a lawsuit. Whether through arbitration, mediation or going to trial, we’ll work tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
These steps can vary in length depending on the case, so there is no cut and dried answer to questions about how long the process takes. It depends highly upon how long a client takes to fully recover from their injuries and the amount of time the insurance company takes to offer a fair settlement. A Virginia personal injury lawyer can help you understand how long your case may take to settle.
Virginia Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Lawyers
If you’ve been in injured in an accident, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer about your legal rights. Our personal injury lawyers have helped victims injured by the negligence of another for over 30 years. If you’d like to setup a free consultation to discuss your legal rights, contact us today 877-544-5323.