Our Portsmouth car accident lawyers are committed to helping car accident victims recover the best possible settlement to help bring their life, as close as possible, to normal after being injured by a negligent driver. We deal with the insurance companies and complicated legal issues so you can focus on getting better.
No Fees Unless We Win
Our no-fee promise means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Our personal injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer FAQs
- Do I need to hire a car accident lawyer?
- How do I handle the car insurance companies?
- How are car accident settlement amounts determined?
- What are the deadlines for a car accident claim?
- How much does a car accident lawyer charge?
Do I Need To Hire A Car Accident Lawyer?
No. You do not have to hire a car accident lawyer to handle your claim. However, be careful not to sign away your legal rights to the insurance company for a small settlement. If you agree to a settlement too early and sign the release papers, you cannot ask for more money later.
Why Hire A Car Accident Lawyer
After a car accident, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Your injuries, the insurance company, the at-fault party, and the legal system are a lot for anyone to face. While you might expect the auto insurance company to have your back, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Insurers are businesses and out to turn a profit. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it. A car accident attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement and ensure you’re not being taken for a ride.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
We strongly advise that you do not speak to the insurance companies until you’ve contacted a Virginia car accident lawyer. You may mistakenly say something that could hurt your settlement. Contrary to popular belief, you’re not required to give a recorded statement to the insurance company if they ask for one.
Once hired, we become your first line of defense – insurance companies will have to go through our team in order to get to you.
How Are Car Accident Settlement Amounts Determined?
Depending on the specifics of the car accident and your injuries, you may be entitled to one or more of the following types of damages:
- Medical Bills: Whether it’s an ambulance ride, life-saving surgery, or months of physical therapy, medical bills add up quickly. These costs, as well as any future medical costs associated with your injury, can be negotiated in your settlement.
- Lost Income: If you’re hospitalized, there is a good chance you’ll miss work while you recuperate. That lost income shouldn’t be written off – we can ask for the paychecks you missed out on. This also includes future loss of income if you’ve been permanently disabled.
- Pain and Suffering: How much pain did you suffer, or will permanently suffer, can be factored in your settlement.
- Punitive Damages: Negligent drivers often need more than an accident to stop them from driving so recklessly again. Punitive damages can motivate the driver to be safer behind the wheel in the future.
- Virginia Wrongful Death Act: If your loved one was killed in a car crash, you’re probably grief-stricken and wondering how you’ll shoulder medical bills and funeral costs. You may also worry about the loss of future income for your family. The loss of companionship and affection is irreplaceable. The Virginia wrongful death act allows certain family members to bring a claim for the losses they have suffered from the death of a loved one.
What Are The Deadlines For Filling a Car Accident Claim?
In Virginia, you typically must file a car accident lawsuit with the court within two years of the date of the accident. However, this can depend on the circumstances surrounding the situation.
Many accident victims that have taken a “wait and see” approach to find out the hard way that there are strict time limitations for bringing a Virginia car accident injury claim. As time goes by and injuries have not gotten any better, victims then seek help for chronic pain or mounting hospital bills. If you wait too long, the door to justice is closed forever.
How Much Does A Car Accident Lawyer Charge?
We understand that the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice, and we believe that everyone should have a voice when it comes to asserting their rights. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our No Fee Promise levels the playing field.
We offer a No Fee Promise, which means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. We will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Our attorneys represent injured victims involved in various types of Portsmouth and Virginia car accident cases including collision accidents, rear-end accidents, texting and distracted driving accidents, drunk driving accidents, truck & tractor-trailer accidents, pedestrian accidents, bicycle accident, injuries caused by vehicle defects, motorcycle accidents, wrongful death.