Premises Liability Injury Claims
Our Virginia slip and fall personal injury lawyers can help those injured in accidents. Our team helps victims fight for the compensation they deserve from liable property owners.
For most victims of slip, trip, and fall accidents, they never see the incident coming. Whether you’re walking down an icy driveway or down the freshly mopped aisle of a grocery store, when danger strikes, your safety is out of your hands. Tragically, these kinds of slip, trip, and fall accidents can result in serious, life-threatening head and back injuries.
Virginia Slip and Fall Lawyer FAQs
Should I hire a slip and fall lawyer?
A large part of any slip and fall lawsuit investigation includes determining whether the accident was completely the fault of the property owner. If you partially contributed to the accident, you may not be eligible for compensation. Insurers are out to turn a profit. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it.
When to Consider a Lawyer
We recommend that you contact a Virginia slip and fall lawyer if you have experienced any of the following:
- Permanent Injury: If you are permanently injured after a slip and call accident, it is likely your injuries will affect your ability to work and earn a living. An attorney can help the insurance companies, and a jury, understand just how much your injury will affect your life.
- Severe Injury: Even when not permanent, severe injuries can still result in expensive medical bills. An attorney can work to ensure your medical bills, past and future, are included in your settlement.
- Liability Is Uncertain: It’s not always clear who is at fault in an accident. When multiple parties are involved, the insurance companies will do all they can to shift liability to someone else.
- Wrongful Death: Virginia allows certain family members to make a claim for losses they have suffered due to the death of a loved one.
- You’re New to the Claims Process: Keep in mind that insurance adjusters are trained negotiators and know that most people are inexperienced with the personal injury claims process.
- Quick Settlement Offers: Insurance companies will try and offer you a quick settlement before you decide to hire a lawyer. You need to be careful not to sign away your legal rights for a small settlement.
Forms of Property Owner Negligence
Negligent property owners are frequently the cause of slip, trip, and fall accidents. This negligence can manifest in a wide variety of ways, including:
- Building code violations, like failing to have handrails installed in a stairway
- Wet, slippery floors
- Cracked, defective sidewalks
- Uneven surfaces
- Defective or missing handrails
- Torn carpets
- Parking lot potholes
- Icy surfaces
These kinds of slips, trips, and falls can result in severe injuries including traumatic brain injuries, broken and fractured bones, neck, spine or back injuries – or even wrongful death.
There are a million ways a property owner’s carelessness can injure or even kill a person. Because the circumstances surrounding the average slip, trip and fall accident can vary so widely, it’s crucial for victims to seek out the help of a qualified attorney.
Liability in Premises Liability Claims
In order to determine whether or not you have a viable claim, our team will take a look at the premises liability of the owner of the property. In order to recoup costs associated with your injuries, you’ll need to prove the following:
- The property owner was aware of danger on their property but failed to remedy the issue
- The owner was unaware of the danger on their property but should have because any reasonable person would have known
- The owner caused the danger on purpose or by accident but didn’t fix the issue before inviting people onto their property
Our team will also work to determine if the property owner maintained the property regularly or if a pattern of negligence can be established. By investigating your claim, we’ll determine exactly what led to your accident and what the property owner could have done to minimize risk.
Compensation Available to Slip & Fall Victims
The amount of compensation owed to a victim can vary from case to case, but they may be eligible for:
- Medical Bills: You may seek compensation for any medical care related to the accident. This often includes hospital bills, physical therapy, surgeries, and future medical bills if your injuries are life-altering.
- Lost Wages: Some slip and fall accidents result in injuries that leave victims out of work for weeks, months, or even permanently. You may seek compensation to recover those lost wages.
- Future Earnings: If you are no longer able to work due to your injuries, this can be factored into the settlement as well.
- Pain and Suffering: This is determined by the severity and permanency of the accident and your injuries and can be factored into your settlement.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is killed in a slip and fall accident, they leave behind bills and funeral costs – and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. Virginia allows certain family members to make a claim for losses suffered due to the wrongful death of a loved one.
Statute of Limitations (Deadlines)
Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, special circumstances apply depending on who owns the property and the age or disability of the person injured. Miss your deadline, though, and you’ll be unable to seek compensation. That’s why it is so important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after an accident. We can help protect your rights so that you can receive the best possible settlement for your case.
About Attorney Richard Serpe
Immediate investigation often makes the difference between winning and losing slip and fall injury cases. We will conduct an immediate investigation to identify crucial witnesses and preserve important evidence. Delays in an investigation can destroy your case because the evidence is often lost and key witnesses can become very difficult to locate over time. If you need a Virginia slip and fall injury lawyer, contact us for a free consultation 877-544-5323.
Attorney Richard Serpe has dedicated his 34+ year legal career to helping injured victims and their families. Medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering– Richard Serpe will fight for max compensation after your slip and fall accident.