Birth Injury Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can occur virtually anywhere, including the delivery room. When they happen, medical mistakes can have a lifelong impact on the child and mother. Our birth injury lawyers are committed to helping families of medical malpractice pursue justice.
The financial burden of caring for a child with special needs can be devastating. New parents already have enough on their plates without worrying about how they will pay their mortgage and costly medical bills.
We can help ensure that families have everything they need to care for their child after a medical mistake. Whether lifelong treatment or short-term care is necessary, parents can rest assured that their attorney will be fighting for their right to compensation following medical negligence.
Inadequate training, defective drugs, and ineffective policies can all lead to medical mistakes and negligence. Allow our team to thoroughly investigate your case to determine if your infant was the victim of medical malpractice at birth.
Types of Birth Injuries
- Cerebral palsy: Caused by damage and abnormalities in the developing brain, cerebral palsy can stem from inadequate training and improper use of birthing tools. This collection of neurological disorders can impact body movement and muscle coordination.
- Erb’s palsy: Experts say Erb’s palsy is a preventable injury caused by nerve injury in the upper arm. When a doctor pulls too hard on a baby during the delivery process, this brachial plexus injury can occur.
- Klumpke’s palsy: When an infant’s neck is stretched during labor, their nerves can be injured and lead to Klumpke’s palsy. Nerve damage in the forearm and hand can impact a person with Klumpke’s palsy for life.
- Facial palsy: When careless doctors make mistakes in the labor and delivery room, facial paralysis can occur. Though rare, this injury is often permanent.
- Brain injury: Perhaps the most serious of birth injuries, brain injuries can dramatically impact the way a child grows and learns. While rare, many brain injuries that happen at birth stem from medical malpractice.
Compensation for Families
Often, families are eligible for compensation. While no amount of money can undo the damage done by a negligent doctor, a settlement can ensure the easiest future possible for the infant. The settlement amount depends largely upon the severity of the injury, and every case is different. Settlements frequently include:
- Medical costs, including surgical procedures, prescription drugs, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy sessions
- Lost wages for parents who must forgo their career to provide full-time care for their infant
- Long-term care for the child
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death of a child
- Forceps injuries: Undeniably useful when used correctly, forceps can be incredibly dangerous when used improperly. Only a small percentage of deliveries require the tool. However, the number of babies injured by forceps is surprisingly high. Even with the risks associated with forceps, they are still a go-to tool in emergencies.
- Vacuum extraction injuries: Negligent use of vacuum extractors can lead to serious, life-long injuries. Without adequate training, doctors risk the lives and futures of their patients.
- Delayed C-Section: As with all surgeries, C-sections carry risks. When a C-section is delayed the risks are greatly increased. In situations when a mother is birthing an infant with a large head, for example, a delayed C-section can cut off the blood and oxygen supply to the baby.
Experienced Birth Injury Lawyers
Contact our office today for a free, no-risk consultation with a knowledgeable and compassionate Virginia birth injury lawyer.
Richard Serpe: Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating (highest given)
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia since 2006
- Lawyers.com 5/5 Star Rating
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Designated a Proctor by the Maritime Law Association of the United States (highest given)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® since 2005