Dog Bites May Increase Under Stay at Home Order
We’ve all had to make adjustments to our lives in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many people are coping by ordering their groceries, household supplies, and fast food via delivery. While the convenience is undeniable, there may be an unintended consequence of using such services. With an increased number of deliveries comes an increased risk of dog bites, too.
When Dogs Attack
Even the best-behaved dog can lash out violently when a stranger approaches. Mail carriers and delivery drivers are used to encountering defensive dogs on their daily routes. Now, though, there are more deliveries to complete – and more dogs to face, too. While you might see your mail carrier as a friendly service provider, your dog may perceive them as a threat. Should a dog get off its leash or escape its home as a delivery person arrives, the results can be violent. Mail carriers are routinely hospitalized after being attacked by dogs along their routes.
Preventing Dog Bites
We owe it to our friendly neighborhood mail carriers and delivery drivers to provide a safe environment for them to do their work. If you have a dog, make sure they are completely restrained when outside your home. Even if you have a fenced-in yard, leaving the dog untethered and unsupervised could lead to an attack. Always keep a watchful eye on your dog while it is outside. Should you anticipate a delivery, restrain the dog in an interior room while you open the front door. Your mail carrier will thank you!
Dog Bite Lawyer Richard Serpe
Virginia dog bite lawyer Richard Serpe has 34+ years of experience helping victims of personal injuries. We have helped numerous victims to get the compensation they deserve. These clients include children, adults, mail carriers, delivery drivers, joggers, pedestrians, and others. Contact Richard Serpe if you’ve been attacked by someone else’s dog.
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Norfolk, VA (2020)
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America ® (2006 – Present)
- Received an AV rating from the Martindale-Hubbell law directory, which is the highest given
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)
- Listed as a Top 100 Virginia Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers 2014