Do I need to hire a personal injury lawyer?
A: The simple answer is no.
However, you need to be careful not to sign away your legal rights with the other insurance company for a small settlement. If you agree to a settlement and sign the release papers, you cannot change your mind or come back for another settlement at a later date.
When to Consider a Lawyer
We highly recommend that you contact a personal injury lawyer if you have experienced any of the following:
- Life-Altering Injuries: If you are permanently injured after a personal injury, it is likely that you will be facing a lifelong battle of challenges.
- Your Injuries Are Severe: Even when not permanent, severe injuries can still be debilitating resulting in expensive medical bills.
- Liability Is Uncertain: It’s not always clear who is at fault in an accident and who should be held liable. When multiple parties are involved, the insurance companies will do all they can to shift liability to another insurer. If there are numerous injuries, there may be less settlement money to go around.
- Low-Ball Offers From The Adjuster: Insurance companies will often make low-ball offers within a matter of just a few weeks hoping to quickly settle a claim. If you’re comfortable accepting their offer, it may only take a few weeks to see your settlement check. Unfortunately, though, these offers come with an agreement that you will not seek additional compensation for damages relating to the accident.
- The Insurance Company Refuses To Pay: Although we expect insurance companies to come to the rescue in our moments of need, their main goal is to turn a profit, not pay out claims. Insurance companies know that most people are inexperienced with the injury claims process. If you are struggling to get compensation for your claim, a personal injury lawyer can be the ally you need.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
In the wake of an accident, it can be difficult to know who to trust. While you might expect the insurance company to have your best interests at heart, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Insurers are out to turn a profit. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a settlement, they’ll take it. A personal injury attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement and ensure you’re not being taken advantage of.
No Legal Fees Unless We Win
Contact our personal injury attorneys for a free consultation. The Serpe Firm has a No Fee Promise, which means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. We will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.