When a person is injured because of the misconduct or negligence of another person, In Virginia, they may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover financial compensation.
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC is a Norfolk, Virginia based personal injury law firm serving Virginia for over 15 years. The Serpe Firm can help you seek compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages, and other financial losses you’ve suffered. Attorney Richard Serpe has 35 years of hard-won experience and results helping the injured get justice.
Why should you pay if the accident wasn’t your fault? Contact our legal team to discuss your situation during a free, no obligation, consultation 757-233-0009.
Attorney Richard Serpe
Norfolk personal injury attorney Richard Serpe has dedicated his legal career to helping individuals and families seriously injured due to the negligence of another person, a dangerous product, or company. He has a tremendous track record of success in obtaining favorable jury verdicts and settlements for his clients. A large portion of his career has been devoted to the representation of injured children.
- Best Lawyers in America® (2005 – Present)
Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year (2020)
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Super Lawyers: top 5% of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)
- Martindale-Hubbell law directory: AV Preeminent (highest rating)
- Avvo.com : Rated 10/10 – “Superb”
Should I hire a personal injury lawyer or go it alone?
After suffering an injury that wasn’t your fault, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Your injuries, the insurance companies, the at-fault party, and the legal system are a lot for anyone to face.
Insurance companies know most people are inexperienced with the personal injury claims process. If they see an opportunity to minimize or deny your claim, they’ll take it. Hiring a Norfolk personal injury lawyer to advocate for needs can level the playing field. And if the insurance company won’t offer a fair settlement, a personal injury lawyer can further escalate your claim by filing a lawsuit.
Advantages of Hiring a Legal Team
Here are a few ways a lawyer can use their legal education, experience, and expertise to fight for maximum financial recovery:
- Investigate your accident and determine the potential value of your personal injury claim
- Protect you from abusive insurance company tactics
- Negotiate with the insurance company to recover a just settlement
- File a lawsuit if the insurance company won’t offer a fair settlement
These are just a few of the ways a personal injury lawyer can add value to your claim. Schedule your free consultation today.
How do Virginia personal injury cases work?
While every personal injury case is unique, here are a few general steps in the process:
- Initial consultation. When a client schedules their free consultation with our team, they share their story and learn of their legal options. A discussion of the person’s rights leads to a decision of whether to work together or not. If the person wishes to hire our firm, they’ll be required to sign an agreement allowing us to represent them.
- Investigation. Our team will work to investigate the accident that caused your injuries. We’ll be looking into the statements of witnesses, the police accident reports and photographs taken at the scene. In some cases, we may even hire experts to better understand what led to the incident.
- Documentation. Your attorney will work with your healthcare provides to assemble as much information about your injuries as possible. Hospital bills and medical records will be compiled to further support your case.
- Settlement negotiations. In order to receive a fair offer from the insurance company, we compile a demand package that contains pertinent results from the investigation and documentation process. Most cases are resolved at this point, but negotiations with the insurance company can continue for a lengthy period of time. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be filed.
- Resolution. Filing a lawsuit puts the timing of your case in the hands of the court system’s legal process. However, during this time, both parties may agree to mediate in an attempt to settle outside of court. If an agreement cannot be made, your case may go before a judge and jury.
How are personal injury settlements determined?
Settlement amounts are based on both the damage done and the severity of the injuries sustained. Another major factor? Insurance coverage and policy limits. Agreed to in the insurance policy purchased by the insured, policy limits often represent the ceiling for settlement negotiations.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your situation, you may be entitled to one or more of the following types of financial recovery:
- Medical bills: Whether you need an ambulance ride to a hospital, a life-saving surgery, or years of physical therapy– medical bills can add up quickly. A personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for these bills, as well as any future medical expenses associated with your injury.
- Lost income: Accidents can put people out of work for months or even permanently. Loss of earnings can be factored into your settlement.
- Pain and suffering: This is often based on how much pain you suffered, or continue to endure, as a result of the accident.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one was killed, you’re probably grief-stricken and wondering how you’ll shoulder medical bills, funeral costs – not to mention the loss of future income for your family. Of course, the emotional loss cannot be understated either. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows certain family members to bring a claim for the losses they have suffered from the death of a loved one.
Statute of Limitations (Deadlines)
Under Virginia law, it is necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit within strict deadlines imposed by law. In many cases, Virginia provides for a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, every case is different and this deadline could vary depending on the circumstances of the situation.
While two years may seem like a long time, your healing, the investigation, and negotiations can be quite lengthy. To protect your rights, you should speak with a Virginia personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim for financial recovery.
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
We understand the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Our Norfolk personal injury lawyers believe that everyone should have a voice when it comes to asserting their rights. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our no-fee promise levels the playing field.
Our no-fee promise means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case (click here to learn more about contingency fees). The attorneys at the Serpe Firm will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement. We will only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
Norfolk Personal Injury Law Firm
When you put your trust in the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C., you can rest easy knowing we’ll act with your best interests in mind. With open ears and hearts, our team is eager to help you in your hour of need. If you or your loved one has been injured in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact us for a free consultation.
We are located in the Crown Center Building in Downtown Norfolk. 580 East Main Street, #310 Norfolk, VA 23510. We have clients across the state of Virginia and will come to you if you can’t come to us..