Virginia Jet Ski Accident Lawyers - Injury Attorneys
Virginia is a jet ski paradise. Whether you’re steering your sea-doo through waves at the Virginia Beach oceanfront, cruising on your Kawasaki on the Chesapeake Bay, or making a splash on your WaveRunner on Smith Mountain Lake-- jet ski fans are sure to have a blast on our waterways. When personal watercraft operators disregard basic safety measures, though, dangerous accidents are bound to happen.
Virginia Jet Ski Laws and Regulations
In Virginia, it is illegal to:
- In Virginia it is illegal to operate jet skis under the age of 16. People aged 14 or 15 may operate jet skis if they complete a boating safety education course.
- You must wear a USCG approved life jacket
- You may not jet ski between sunset and sunrise
- Carry additional passengers beyond what the craft was designed to hold.
- Speed near docks, piers, swimmers and boat ramps.
- Ride recklessly, including weaving through vessels, following too closely, or steering toward an object or person.
Causes of Jet Ski Accidents
- Drunk or drugged riders. Operating any kind of vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a bad idea. Add in water and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.
- Inexperienced riders. It’s easy to make a mistake at the wheel when you’re still learning, but inexperienced riders can make costly, dangerous errors.
- Faulty equipment. Jet ski companies have recalled their products because of explosive gas systems, defective brakes and other deadly equipment issues.
- Speeding. Whether on land or at sea, high speeds can kill. Leaving little time to correct mistakes as they occur, high speed jet skiers risk their lives and the lives of others.
Virginia Jet Ski Accident Settlements & Compensation
If you’ve been injured in a jet ski accident through no fault of your own, we can help fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
- Medical costs. In a life-or-death moment, no one worries about the price tag of their medical care. When the medical bills start arriving, though, people begin to panic. Victims should never be responsible for the medical treatment they received following an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. We can help you recover the money spent on medical care and on future medical costs like physical therapy.
- Lost wages. Even small injuries can put a person out of work for months. If you find yourself unable to work, the wages you miss out on should be included in your settlement.
- Wrongful death. Losing a loved one unexpectedly can put financial stress on a family. Funeral costs, medical bills and lost future earnings can all be recovered with a wrongful death claim. Your loved one is irreplaceable, but compensating a family following the wrongful death of a family member is the fair thing to do.
Important Virginia Deadlines for Lawsuits
Virginia’s statute of limitations requires victims to file a lawsuit within a certain time frame after the accident. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim. Of course, every case is different, and this deadline depends upon the circumstances surround the situation. For this reason, you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Contact an Experienced Jet Ski Accident Lawyer
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC is here to help you and your family. Richard Serpe has a Masters Degree (LLM) in maritime law from Tulane University School of Law, and has obtained the highest ranking (Proctor) from the Maritime Law Association of the United States. Richard Serpe has years of experiences protecting the rights of the injured. If you have been injured in a jet ski accident, you may need an experienced maritime injury lawyer. Contact us for a free consultation 877-544-5323.