Richard Serpe has dedicated his 34-year legal profession to helping victims get the justice and compensation they are rightfully owed. As a personal injury attorney, he advocates for those who have been injured due to the negligence of another person, dangerous product, or company. A substantial portion of his career has been devoted to the representation of injured children.
Mr. Serpe is frequently associated with complex litigation, managing cases with difficult scientific and medical issues. He has experience managing large case cohorts, including the extensive use of database and litigation support software.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers® (2005 – Present)
Admiralty and Maritime Law
Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year (Norfolk 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell law directory : AV Preeminent rating (highest given)
- “Super Lawyer” : among the top 5% of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)
- Avvo.com : Rated 10/10 – “Superb”
- B.A. (Econ.) 1983 University of Virginia
- J.D. (Law) 1986 Tulane Law School
- LL.M (Admiralty) 1991 Tulane Law School
Bar & Court Admissions
Richard Serpe is admitted to practice in Virginia (1991), Texas (1987), and Louisiana (1986). Mr. Serpe has represented clients before the Louisiana and Virginia Supreme courts and appeared before the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Circuits of the US Court of Appeals.
A Fierce Advocate for Children Poisoned by Lead Paint
Richard Serpe has represented victims of toxic torts and environmental contamination across the country. He has successfully tried lawsuits in state and federal courts. He has resolved lead poisoning cases for victims in Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia.
In 1999, he concluded actions for 90 families poisoned at the Abex Superfund site. Mr. Serpe represents the victims of brain damage from toxic and traumatic injuries. He has commissioned over 200 neuropsychological assessments to document the extent of brain injury and is highly experienced in demonstrating the extent of a victim’s loss.
LL.M. in Admiralty & Maritime Law
Richard Serpe has an additional Masters Degree (LLM) in maritime law from the Tulane University School of Law, internationally known for it’s maritime law program. He has successfully prosecuted cases under the Jones Act, bringing fair and just compensation to sailors who were injured while performing their duties.
Mr. Serpe is a frequent lecturer speaking nationally on environmental and personal injury law. Mr. Serpe also serves as a Committee chair, and board member of Lynnhaven River 2007, assisting in Oyster Restoration for the Lynnhaven River.
Successful Practice Areas
- Maritime & Jones Act: tugboats, barges, fishing boats, cruise ships, cargo ships, maintenance and cure
- Auto Accidents: involving cars, trucks, bicycles, pedestrians, motorcycles, uninsured/underinsured motorists
- Dog Bites & Attacks: for children, adults, mail carriers, delivery truck drivers, pedestrians, joggers, etc.
- Guardrail Accidents: defective, outdated, and improperly installed guardrails causing injury and death
- Wrongful Death: the wrongful death of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence
- Birth Injury: Inadequate training, defective drugs, and ineffective policies can all lead to medical mistakes.
- Lead Poisoning: lead poisoning can cause long-term permanent cognitive injuries in children
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: faulty equipment/appliances, improper repairs, improper venting, and faulty detectors
- Traumatic Brain Injury: car accidents, lead poisoning, birth injury