Virginia Wrongful Death Lawyer: Accident Attorneys
Virginia Wrongful Death Lawyers
No matter the circumstance, losing a loved one is always hard. But losing a loved one because of someone else’s carelessness can feel like an injustice. In some cases, it’s just that. Navigating the legal waters surrounding their death – while grieving – can be overwhelming.
That’s where we come in. Virginia wrongful death attorney Richard Serpe represents families who have lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence. The Virginia Wrongful Death Act provides a framework to compensate family members for those losses.
5 Important Things to Know About Virginia Wrongful Death Cases
- 1. Types of Virginia Wrongful Death Cases
- 2. Settlements & Compensation Available for Victims
- 3. Who Can Sue for a Wrongful Death in Virginia?
- 4. Time Deadlines for Bringing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Virginia
- 5. Contact a Lawyer Experienced with Virginia’s Wrongful Death Act
Types of Virginia Wrongful Death Cases
Car accidents, drunk driving accidents, tractor-trailer accidents, motorcycle accidents, maritime, shipping, boating, cruise ship accidents, nursing home negligence, pedestrian and bicycle accidents, defective products including defective medical products and drugs, dangerous conditions in buildings and roadways, gross negligence of doctors and hospitals.
Virginia Wrongful Death Accident Compensation
Depending on the specifics of the accident, the family of the victim may be entitled to one or more of the following types of damages:
- Medical costs. The medical procedures attempted to save your loved one need paid for – but the family of the victim should never be responsible for those bills. Our team can help recoup the costs of the critical and often expensive care given to the victim.
- Lost wages. When the breadwinner of the family has been killed, their survivors must deal with the financial ramifications of the loss on top of their grief. The loss of the victim’s future earning potential can be included in a wrongful death settlement.
- Punitive damages. Particularly negligent drivers are sometimes punished for their actions through these kinds of damages. They can discourage the negligent party from ever acting so carelessly again.
- Wrongful death. On top of the funeral costs, medical bills and lost future earnings, the emotional blow of losing a loved one cannot be undervalued. Companionship and affection is irreplaceable. Compensating a family following the wrongful death of a family member is the fair thing to do.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in Virginia?
Virginia has a strict legal system – the requirements for bringing wrongful death cases can be confusing. These cases need to be brought by a qualified personal representative of the estate. Inexperienced lawyers can permanently destroy your rights.
Virginia limits the individuals who can sue for wrongful death, otherwise known as the “statutory beneficiaries.” Inexperienced lawyers, who do not understand wrongful death law and procedures, frequently fail to gather all evidence of damage. Even worse, they sometimes fail to compensate the true beneficiary under Virginia law. The Virginia wrongful death lawyers at our firm combine experience with hard investigative research to help win your case.
Time Deadlines for Virginia Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Under Virginia law, it is necessary to file a lawsuit within strict deadlines imposed by law. In many cases, Virginia provides for a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, special circumstances apply depending on the location of death, the occupation of the decedent, and the application of special state and federal laws. Once you have missed this deadline, you will no longer be able to file a claim.
Contact Our Virginia Wrongful Death Attorneys
The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC is here to help you and your family. Our firm has helped those injured in accidents that were caused by someone else’s negligence for over 30 years. Contact us to setup a free consultation, to discuss your situation 877-544-5323