What are my legal rights after a Virginia dog bite or attack?
Q: What are my legal rights after a Virginia dog bite or attack?
A: If you’ve been attacked by a dog, you’re likely feeling shocked and overwhelmed. Once the initial shock wears off, though, many victims feel helpless. It’s important for dog bite victims to know their rights. When an animal attacks, the owner of the dog is liable for the damage done. Sometimes a person who is caring for the animal at the time of the attack can be held liable if they knew the dog could be vicious. Victims bitten by dogs have the right to compensation.
Settlements & Compensation
Typical damages that Virginia dog bite victims can receive compensation for include: pain and suffering, loss of earnings while unable to work, future loss of earnings if you cannot return to work, disﬁgurement – if the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, plastic surgery, and other medical expenses.
What We Suggest You Do if You’ve Been Attacked
- Seek medical attention. If you’ve been seriously injured, you should contact 911 immediately. Even if your wounds seem small, when bitten by any type of animal you run the risk of contracting rabies or a serious infection and you should consider seeing a medical professional. Having your injuries documented by a medical professional is important evidence for your case.
- Report the incident to local animal control, or emergency authorities. It is VERY important to have the incident officially documented and for information to be gathered concerning the dog owner.
- Take photos of your injuries. Make sure to take photos of your injuries as soon as you can, as well as pictures of the healing process. This may become important evidence to your case.
- Gather information. Make sure that animal control or the police know of anyone that may have witnessed the attack. Have other neighbors had problems with the same dog?
- Contact an Experienced Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer. If you were injured in a Virginia dog attack because of someone else’s negligence, you should consider contacting an experienced Virginia dog bite lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your legal rights.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyers at the Serpe Firm
Our Virginia-based personal injury law firm handles dog bite and dog attack cases. Our attorneys know the rules, the regulations, and the laws surrounding dogs and dog attacks, and we know how to fight for you to recover the fair compensation that you may be owed. Nobody should have to suffer because a dog owner’s negligence.