Jones Act and Maritime Injury
- VirginiaMaritimeLawyer.org – The Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC has created a website dedicated to Jones Act & Maritime news and information.
- Use of expert witnesses by attorneys in Admiralty Proceedings [PDF]
Description: In this article, Paul Sterbcow, partner at Lewis, Kullman & Sterbcow (New Orleans) discusses how Maritime practitioners face potential hazards and critical decisions in their use of expert witness. Improper use of an expert can be fatal to a case. This paper reviews issues involved in the use of experts in litigation, with a focus on maritime law and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, as much maritime litigation occurs in federal court. Practical considerations for the practitioner area also discussed.
- Maritime Personal Injury From the Plaintiff Perspective – 10/23/07 seminar by Richard Serpe [PDF]
Description: Richard Serpe spoke at the October 23, 2007 seminar entitled, “Handling Marine Claims – Including Recent Development”. View his written materials here.
- Maritime Death Remedies Revisited [PDF]
Description: This is a thorough examination of the legal options for the surviving family members of those who have died while at sea.
- Discussion of Select 1996 Maritime Cases [PDF]
Description: A discussion of important maritime legal cases that occurred in 1996.