|Click here if you live outside of Virginia.
Virginia Car Accidents
- Virginia Traffic Crash Facts for 2009: 756 people were killed on Virginia's roads in 2009 and 62,976 were injured.
- Virginia Teens speak out for safer roads: Flashing blue lights lit up the intersection of Candlers Mountain Road and University Boulevard, and almost 50 teenagers gathered along the roadside Wednesday night. These teenagers were not in trouble. They were simply watching as law enforcement officers arrested three drivers on charges of driving under the influence, three on drug charges and one on underage possession of alcohol. Last year, 132 teenagers in Virginia died in car crashes.
- Drive Smart Virginia: DRIVE SMART Virginia (DSV) is the only 501c3 non-profit in Virginia dedicated entirely to making Virginia's roadways the safest in the nation. Founded by automobile insurance companies that represent more than 85% of the driving insured on our roads, DSV is a formidable presence in the homes and businesses of our Virginia citizens. Almost everyone rides or drives in a motor vehicle daily. That makes car crashes the most indiscriminate killer in existence.
- Senior Driver Safety: Senior drivers face many challenges caught between wanting to maintain their independence while their friends and family may begin to be concerned about their senior's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. Seniordrivers.org is an AAA sponsored website dedicated to helping educate seniors and their loved ones on safe driving as we age.
- Local chapter's of Mother's Against Drunk Driving Virginia work to prevent impared driving in Hampton Roads: MADD's Mission is to stop drunk driving, support victims of this violent crime, and prevent underage drinking.
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles: Car Seats and Safety
Truck Accidents or Collisions
Jones Act and Maritime Injury
- Cruise ship security and how to avoid incident while on board: Cruise ships are in many ways like a self contained city where passengers can escape their cares and relax while they are on board. It is natural for people on vacation to let down their guard while in a resort like environment. While it is unnecessary to let "what could happen" ruin your vacation, travelers should not have such a false sense of security on their cruise allow them to become a victim. The attached link is a quick reference, no nonsense, guide to staying safe while sailing the seas.
Traumatic Brain Injury
- Accuracy of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Diagnosis: Mild TBI is often treated in the ED with as many as 80% of all adults with a TBI discharged home the same day without being admitted to the hospital. Accurate identification and diagnosis of a mild TBI is the first step toward providing appropriate clinical care.
- Scientists have found that the human brain stores trauma in a special way which makes treatment difficult.: Emotional memories of traumatic life events such as accidents, war experiences or serious illnesses are stored in a particularly robust way by the brain. This renders effective treatment very difficult.
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia: The Brain Injury Association of Virginia (BIAV) has positively impacted programs and services for people with brain injury and their families, and are the primary source of information and personal support for thousands of individuals, families and professionals living in Virginia whose lives have been touched by a life-altering, often devastating, brain injury.
- Brain Injury Association of America: Founded in 1980, the Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) is the leading national organization serving and representing individuals, families and professionals who are touched by a life-altering, often devastating, traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Lead Testing Options for families worried about lead: Recent recalls of children’s products including toys and clothes have concerned consumers wondering what lead hazards could be in their homes and around their children. The greatest hazard from lead is most likely invisible lead dust from deteriorated lead-based paint. Any home built before 1978 may very well have contained lead paint and may contain dust remnants from that paint and should be tested. Parents should talk to their children's doctor about getting a blood lead test if there is a possibility that their child may have been exposed to lead.
- Newsletter HUD's Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control: The Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard
Control (OHHLHC) offers an electronic quarterly newsletter. The goal of the newsletter is to promote healthy homes principles, including best practices, research findings and education/outreach initiatives.
- Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning: The Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning is dedicated to preventing childhood lead poisoning through advocacy, outreach and education. Working in partnership with the community, the Coalition is committed to ensuring that all children grow up in healthy, affordable lead-safe housing and that community based solutions for lead safe housing are implemented which will result in healthier children and healthier communities.
- National Center for Environmental Health, Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention: CDC’s Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is committed to the Healthy People goal of eliminating elevated blood lead levels in children by 2010. CDC continues to assist state and local childhood lead poisoning prevention programs, to provide a scientific basis for policy decisions, and to ensure that health issues are addressed in decisions about housing and the environment.
- Virginia Man files Asbestos Claim in Galveston County, TX: Larry and Lelsie Hacker, both Virginia residents, filed suit in Galveston County, Texas, claiming that Larry Hacker developed mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure that occurred while he was employed by 3M. The suit also names the Union Carbide Corporation and the Phillips Electronics North America Corporation as defendants. Mr. Hacker claims that the exposure occurred during the course of his employment as a general maintenance worker and a boiler technician.
Chinese Drywall Resources